Monday, August 31, 2009

Shake a Stick

Have you ever heard someone say, in reference to a large amount, that it's "more than you could shake a stick at"? At first I disagreed with this statement entirely because, on the surface, it doesn't make any sense. And then I tried it.

I don't know about you, but my arm gets tired really quickly. After about only 5 minutes of shaking a stick, my arm all but fell off. I guess if you were a really buff person who worked out a lot, your arm could last maybe 10 to 15 minutes, tops. So, the next time you see a whole bunch of stuff, unless you are really (and I mean really) strong, it's probably more than you could shake a stick at.

2 comments:

  1. There's also the problem of incorrect grammar. The rule is that it's incorrect to end a sentence with a preposition. I would suggest rephrasing it as "you couldn't shake a stick at more than that."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I'd like to know is why people started shaking sticks at things in the first place. And, are they random sticks they found in the yard or are there standards stick sizes for stick shakers?

    ReplyDelete